Monday, June 21, 2010

Beautiful Chicago, Thanks to John Angotti, Remembrance of Jim Dunning

Happy Monday to you all.

After some of the worst weather I've seen since living here in Chicago (moved here in 1992) on Friday, we did enjoy a wonderful weekend. 23 mile bike ride along the lake on Saturday morning, then some time at the beach in the afternoon. Just what the doctor ordered! Here's a photo of my two colleagues here at WLP/ J. S. Paluch with whom I enjoy these bike rides. Doesn't Chicago look wonderful?




Yesterday, John Angotti, one of WLP's composers and artists, attended Sunday Mass with me at my parish, Saint James. John is studying at Catholic Theological Union here in Chicago, working on a Masters Degree. John played and sang after communion. He sang his version of Unless a Grain of Wheat Shall Fall. You can listen to it here. I was so pleased to be able to bring John's talent and ministry to the parishioners at Saint James.

I also had an interesting moment at Mass. When the introduction to the choir piece for the Preparation of the Gifts began, I thought it sounded quite familiar. After a few bars, I realized that it was my own piece, Help Me, Lord. I wrote this piece for the funeral of one of the father figures in my own life, Father Jim Dunning, the founder of the North American Forum on the Catechumenate. Jim was a mentor and friend. How appropriate (at least for me) that this was sung on Father's Day. You can listen to a snippet of the piece here.

I hope your week is a good one.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: