Monday, May 24, 2010

The Spirit's Benefit

Happy Monday after Pentecost to you all.



I played the two Masses at my parish, St. James, yesterday. It was a delight. We sang a setting of the sequence that has been in the WLP treasury for years, Come, Holy Spirit, On Us Shine. It is set to the O FILII ET FILIAE hymn tune and worked marvelously. This setting is in all of WLP's worship resources (hint hint!).

One line from yesterday's Second Reading really struck me: "To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit." It got me thinking about my own life as a baptized and confirmed Catholic. What is that particular "benefit" in my own life? Many of you know that I keep a little piece of paper taped to the wall of my office, right here near my desk. On it are listed the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: Wisdom, Understanding, Right Judgment, Courage, Knowledge, Reverence, and Wonder and Awe in God's Presence. I keep them here because I think these are wonderful principles for Catholic managers. Perhaps the "benefit" is for me to remind myself to put these gifts to good use here at WLP and in my own life.

I hope that your celebration of Pentecost was a good one.

I'll end here with a stanza from the setting of the sequence mentioned above:

"Come, be our soul's most welcome guest,
Endowing us with all the best;
Be solace, comfort, and our rest. Come, Spirit, Come!"

In that Spirit, gotta sing, gotta pray.

1 comment:

brandy101 said...

I love Pentecost, and all readings related to the Holy Spirit. Its my special "devotion" I guess you could say.