Tuesday, April 27, 2010

New Translation Tuesday: Sad and Good News at the BCDW

Thanks for you patience with today's "New Translation Tuesday" post. Blogging is the first thing I do in the morning, after my spinning class at the gym, but today was one of those days of travel and meetings.

I will respond to the comments regarding the Grail Psalms at a later date.

For today, I want to share some bitter sweetness with you. Sometimes the work that people do on our behalf at the USCCB goes unnoticed. For the past several years, Monsignor Anthony Sherman, a friend and trusted colleague, has headed the Bishops Committee on Divine Worship. It was announced yesterday that Monsignor's associate, Fr. Rick Hilgartner, has been named as Monsignor Sherman's successor. The Church owes an enormous debt of gratitude to Tony Sherman, who has brought us through these times of transition with charm, wit, and intelligence. My heart is full of gratitude for his work, and I know that he is rejoicing over the fact that he will soon return to his people in the Diocese of Brooklyn.

We are left in very, very capable hands in the person of Rick Hilgartner. Every single conversation that I have had with him has revealed a man who is passionately concerned with the reform of the liturgy. He is a clear communicator and is a man who clearly loves the liturgy. Folks, this is a very good appointment.

Last week, I sent a letter to all of the Ordinaries in the dioceses of the United States, and included a gift from WLP. I did this as a sign of our commitment to serve the needs of the singing and praying Church. I have received some very nice responses from several of our bishops, who have ordered the gift—Bishop J. Peter Sartain's recording of the newly translated Eucharistic Prayers I, II, III, IV—for all of the priests of their dioceses. This is where being a Catholics publisher really humbles me. While these sales will help pay the salaries of a wonderful group of dedicated employees, these sales also will help the prayer of the Church by serving bishops and priests. My heart is filled with gratitude this day.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: