Tuesday, April 13, 2010

New Translation Tuesday: Happy First Birthday!

Hello everyone, and a very happy Tuesday of the Second Week of Easter.



Today is a milestone of sorts. It was one year ago today that this blog  Gotta Sing Gotta Pray, began. So we are celebrating its first birthday today. Here's what I wrote on that first post:

Easter greetings to all. Several of my colleagues here at World Library Publications have been asking me to begin a blog, so here we are. Welcome to Gotta Sing Gotta Pray. Why this title? I firmly believe that in good times and in bad (like the current economic downturn), people simply gotta sing and people simply gotta pray. Turning our hearts to the Lord in prayer and song gives us the kind of hope that only comes from God. 
And today is one of those days—at least here in Chicago—that is a little difficult to find the energy to sing and pray. It's raining. The temperature is in the low 40's. Spring was supposed to arrive here already, but it has been very tardy. I know that the flowers are just waiting to burst forth from the ground. This is what this Easter Season is really all about. At least in the Northern Hemisphere most of us are still waiting to burst out of the doldrums of the winter months, hoping to be greeted and nourished by warm sunshine—we live in hope! 
Please visit this blog often. I am pledging at least an entry a day on a topic that brings the world of liturgy and music into a conversation with what is happening in the world around us. Meanwhile, take a listen to this beautiful piece from John Angotti's CD "Joy Beyond Our Dreams." Happy Easter Monday!

As I reflect on these words, penned a year ago, it seems that so much has occurred in our Church world—not to mention the world in general—in this year. I was concerned a year ago about the economic downturn. While there are signs of hope, that concern continues. The story of the year for the Roman Catholic Church has been the revelation of clergy sexual abuse cases around the globe and the silence and cover-ups by some of the world's bishops. The upcoming new English translation of the Missale Romanum prompted me to begin "New Translation Tuesday" and "New Translation Thursday" on November 10, 2009. It has been a creative year for me. Up until the moment I began to lead World Library Publications, I was a happy worship resources editor, gladly writing and editing for WLP and contributing articles to journals and magazines. When I became the associate publisher, many of my writing assignments were given to others. Frankly, I missed that creative outlet. Gotta Sing Gotta Pray has been a real gift in my own life. I hope, in some way, that it has been a gift for you as well.

On this "New Translation Tuesday," I am thinking about a prayer I heard this past Sunday, the Second Sunday of Easter. The Prayer after Communion was this:

Almighty God,
may the Easter sacraments we have received
live for ever in our minds and hearts.

It just kind of fell flat for me. I looked up the Latin and plugged the Latin into one of those free online translators. This is what came back:

To concede quaesumus, All-powerful God, when paschalis to gain oath to join upon our mind perseveret. Very Christum.

Yow! Obviously these online translators are super deficient.

This points out something that I am greatly looking forward to, and that is some timely comparisons between the current texts and the newly translated texts. Some are doing this kind of thing on other blogs (some people have obviously obtained copies of the new texts). I do not as yet have a copy (obviously), but look forward to some good discussions about the differences, and I am also looking forward to your comments.

For now, please join me in wishing Gotta Sing, Gotta Pray a happy first birthday.

As always, gotta sing, gotta pray.

4 comments:

FJH 3rd said...

Jerry, I found this translation on-line. No claims that it is from the new official translation, and it may be one of the great Father Z's "slavishly literal" translations...

"Grant, we plead, Almighty God,
that the uninterrupted reception of the paschal
sacramental mystery may steadfastly persist in our minds."

If the new translation approaches this, I will be thrilled. It gives you something substantial to consider. I once read a priest's remark that the current translation is like chewing cardboard...a real effort without much nourishment. Bring on the new translation!

FJH 3rd said...

Oh, and by the way, Happy Birthday to your blog. I enjoy it!

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Yikes, FJH3rd, there has to be some kind of middle ground here, don't you think? I honestly cannot see many celebrants getting the words "uninterrupted reception of the paschal mystery" out of their mouths in a way that convinces me that they are grasping the meaning nor transmitting the meaning. I am hoping for something much less slavish that gives an almost immediate and gratifying sense in my own heart and mind. I worry that I will spend too much time at Mass saying to myself, "what was that; what did that mean?"

FJH 3rd said...

That's why I like to follow along in a hand missal (which I think WLP published!) to both hear and see the words being prayed. I just read that prayer out loud a few times. Seems fine to me! As with anything spoken aloud, doesn't it greatly depend on how well the speaker says it...pace, intonation, enunciation? I can almost hear it chanted, too. Time will tell, I guess!