Monday, April 26, 2010

Back Home and Grateful for a Good Weekend

Good Monday to you all. It is bright and sunny here in Chicago. I hope it is pleasant where you are.

I am praying today for all those affected by the severe weather this weekend. I was stuck at Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport on Saturday for most of the day. I was grateful to the great United Airlines pilots who got us back to Chicago safely on Saturday evening.

I was in Atlanta, as I mentioned in Friday's post, to attend the annual "Cardinals Dinner," a fundraiser for the Catholic University of America. It wasn't the kind of affair where it was appropriate to be snapping photos on my cell phone. I did get one photo of the room, so here you go:



It was an interesting experience to have the time to speak with Cardinal DiNardo of Galveston-Houston, Chicago's own Cardinal George, Boston's Cardinal O'Malley, and Cardinal Egan, the retired archbishop of New York. Many of these conversations revolved around the new translation of the Missale Romanum. I was able to have a long conversation with Archbishop Vigneron (Detroit), who spoke about the design and building process of the cathedral in Oakland, where he had previously been the bishop. Having been there myself, I think that this is one of the most architecturally significant buildings I have ever had the chance to visit. He also praised the new translation of the Missal, saying that so much of the intricacies of the Latin have now been recaptured. He spoke highly of the new translation of the Exsultet. I, for at least one, can't wait to get my eyes and heart on these newly translation texts. Cardinal George, a member of the Vox Clara committee, told us that he will headed to Rome in the coming days for a final meeting of this group (at least with respect to the new English translation of the Missal).

There are rumors floating around (and I have heard this now from at least two very reliable people), that the pope may issue the recognitio himself as part of this meeting of Vox Clara. Rumors have abounded for years, so I just patiently wait, as do others. So, let's keep our eyes and ears open in the coming days.

Mass at my parish, Saint James, was inspiring yesterday. Fine homily, excellent singing and chanting, and a community filled with hospitality and love. Who could ask for more? Our pastor noted that when he was on a pilgrimage in Northern Spain, he encountered a shepherd and his little flock. My pastor had never seen a shepherd and sheep before. He said that this particular shepherd was not at the head of the flock, nor at the rear of the flock. He was right in the midst of them, nudging those ahead of him to move forward and inviting those behind him to keep up with the flock. This was a new (and helpful) image for me as I pondered Christ the Good Shepherd.

(A bit later in the day now.) A friend just sent me this wonderful photograph, which illustrates my pastor's point so well:



I hope your celebration this past weekend was a good one as well.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: