Thursday, March 18, 2010

New Translation Thursday: Hoping to Find Helpful Resources here in Anaheim

Morning (very early) greetings from Anaheim, California. Woke up way too early this morning - still on Central Time, I guess. Looking forward to watching the sun rise from my hotel window—no sign of it yet.

This is "New Translation Thursday."

On yesterday's PrayTell blog, Fr. Anthony Ruff asks the same kinds of questions about the timing of the new English translation of the Missale Romanum as have been echoed here. When the clergy sexual abuse scandal began in the last decade here in the United States, I remember mentioning to a few friends that I believed that it was then only the tip of the iceberg. It is sad that this intuition has been played out. I appreciate Fr. Ruff's honest musings and was moved to prayer by the final line of his post: "Let us hold in prayer those parts of the Body of Christ suffering in pain."

In the next few days here in Anaheim, at the Los Angeles Religious Education Congress, tens of thousands of Catholics will join their voices together in prayer and song. To be here is to experience the great diversity of this Catholic Church. It is a great gift. I think about this same Congress in a few years, when the new translation will have taken root. Perhaps I will be sitting here in a hotel room, still writing these entries, analyzing how these Masses (and masses) have been affected by the new translation . . .

I am looking forward to walking around the exhibit hall, looking for hints as to how other Catholic publishers are dealing with the impending new translation; I'll be looking for ways that these publishers are helping Catholics through catechetical resources. I'll be sure to keep you posted. I'll have my phone/camera with me, so I hope to share some of this experience with you. Meanwhile, you can follow the Congress as it unfolds through their new live streaming feature: www.RECongress.org/LIVE.

Have a good Thursday.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: