Monday, January 11, 2010

The Baptism of the Lord and a Restored Font

Good Monday morning to you all. I hope your celebration of the Baptism of the Lord was a good one.  I found this photo of Pope Benedict baptizing an infant yesterday in the Sistine Chapel—great shot, yes?



Reminded me of something that happened last week. For those of you who follow this blog regularly, you know how much I walk about baptism. Go here to see the reflection I wrote about my own pilgrimage to the place where I was baptized. For some reason, one day last week, I "googled" the name of the church where I was baptized (St. Anthony in New Bedford, MA) and the words "baptism font." I was brought to a page from the parish's electronic version of their bulletin some time in 2005. The "letter from the pastor" indicated that the baptism font, which had been sitting in the sacristy for years collecting dust, had been restored and brought into the church. I emailed the pastor, Fr. Roger Landrey, and he got back to me immediately and shared this photo:




This is a photo of a recent baptism at St. Anthony's. Yes, that's the very font in which I was baptized on May 25, 1958. Fr. Landrey promised to send me more photos of the font.  This was a great way to enter the celebration of the Baptism of the Lord yesterday, with this fresh visual reminder of the day that everything changed in my life; the day that nothing would ever be the same again.

Rejoice in your own baptism during this week. And say a prayer of thanks to God for those who loved you so much that they brought you to the living waters.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: