Monday, December 14, 2009

"On the Ice" and a Full and Grateful Heart

Happy Monday to you all. I am back at the desk after four days off. Spent these days in the California desert, where it was cool and mostly cloudy, but relaxing nonetheless.

I've decided to give you just a small peek into my life outside of the publishing and church worlds today . . .

Most people raise an eyebrow when I let them know that I am an avid hockey fan. "How could such a  mild-mannered liturgist/musician be a fan of such a violent sport?" they often ask. Well, I grew up in Massachusetts during the era of the likes of Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito, two tremendous Boston Bruins players. I remember well listening to hockey games on the radio when my parents would pile all six of us into our "Country Squire" station wagon (the kind with the fake wood on the sides) and head back to the Boston area from our bimonthly visits to relatives in southeastern Massachusetts. I loved listening to those games and watching them on TV. That interest waned over the years and has been rekindled over the past five years here in Chicago, where I have become a huge fan of the Chicago Blackhawks. I attend many of their games, sitting a few rows from the last row in the upper level. Last night was a little different. Through the generosity of a friend, I found myself sitting in the first row "on the ice." It was thrilling, to say the least. I have great respect for these athletes who, unlike in any other sport, perform their sport on ice, skating with ease and precision. Folks, I had a wonderful time, and wished the game could have gone on and on. Incidentally, we won 4-0! Here's a photo. I look a little weary—I had been on airplanes most of the day!



Thank you for your comments over the past week. I hope your Advent continues to be a hope-filled one and that these remaining days are marked with joy and peace. Tomorrow, another installment of "New Translation Tuesday." Stay tuned.

After my experience last night, I was filled with lots of joy and had a full and grateful heart. I guess this is how a Catholic has to approach a gift like seats "on the ice." I kept thanking God up and down all night long.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too grew up in the Massachusetts suburbs...and began my church music career in Brockton...a staunchly Catholic but nonetheless rather violent southern neighbor of Boston. In Brockton it was boxing (I am a big fan), but in the surrounding suburbs, Hockey was the big thing. Whether in a rink or on a pond, or even in the street if properly iced over, there were always kids playing hockey around the neighborhood.

For those who are critics...go to a game sometime. There is no other sport so engaging to watch.

-Chironomo

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Ah, Chironomo, at last we have found something about which we are in absolute agreement! "There is no other sport so engaging to watch." I played an ordination once at St. Coleman's in Brockton. Small world.

Marty said...

Hockey is a fabulous sport---even among mild-mannered Church people! As you note, Jerry, the appreciation of this sport for many of us is focused much more on the stamina and endurance that these guys exhibit.
I am one of those fans who goes back a good distance in time with a team that has many shining moments. A couple of the first words out of the mouths of my sibs and I when we were learning to talk were probably Gordie and Howe! We were fortunate because Detroit also picked up the CBC station in Windsor so when a game may not have been televised by a local U.S. TV station, there was always Hockey Night in Canada. Mostly though, all of this hockey was a way to connect with my dad who absolutely loved the sport so I suspect that even if I had not cared for it quite so much, I would have found a way because it meant some really good dad-daughter time growing up.

MIke K said...

What's wrong with being a mild-mannered church person and loving hockey?

If you look at youngfogeys.blogspot.com, click on the March 2009 archives, and scroll down the page, you'll notice another mild-mannered church person PLAYING hockey - and, in doing so, taking a break from his day job, which includes duties such as celebrating Mass and hearing Confessions...

Anonymous said...

What a thrill Jerry to be right "on the ice!" Growing up in Vermont and attending the University of Vermont, hockey was "the only sport" that I even was a spectator for during my college days. Playing in the UVM Pep Band was not only fun, but it got you into the games for free! I still have a souvenir puck that flew high up into the rafters and nearly landed in the tuba! To have finally seen the Boston Bruins play in real life, although at an Atlanta arena, was an experience that I'll never forget. Hockey is a great sport and I'm proud to be a Bruins fan too! ~ Jan in ATL