Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Biblical Songs Illuminated

Good Wednesday morning to you all. I hope this first week of Advent has been a time of grace for you thus far.

You know by now that every once in a while, I will do a brief commercial to let you know about one of
WLP's great resources. Today, I'd like to share a wonderful art and prayer book with you. I do this now because it would make a great Christmas gift. The book is titled Canticle: Biblical Songs Illuminated. 




This book contains the texts to over twenty biblical canticles, illuminated by the well-known artist G. E. Mullan. The renowned theologian and master story-teller, John Shea, offers a reflection on each of the canticles. This book is a gem. For anyone who is interested in taking a deeper look into the biblical canticles, this is a must-have. I have a Mullan lithograph hanging here on a wall in my office. I've always enjoyed the covers he designs for WLP's ¡Celebremos! Let Us Celebrate! worship resource.



And I have known the work of Jack Shea for many years. Jack wrote a wonderful Stations of the Cross resource for us: Stopping Along the Way.


His reflections on the canticles in the latest book will make you laugh and make you cry. The texts, Mullan's art, and Jack's reflections combine to bring the reader into a closer relationship with God.

Obviously, I could go on and on about this resource. Suffice it to say that it is one of my personal favorites.

Thanks for listening today. We are expecting our first snowfall tonight here in Chicago. I guess winter has arrived!

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: