Friday, November 13, 2009

Milwaukee, Albany, Gary and Apprenticed to Christ: Here We Go!

Friday has dawned here in Chicago—another cool, sunny, crisp Autumn day.

I've got a whirlwind three days ahead of me. Tomorrow, I'm heading to the Archdiocese of Milwaukee to give a three-hour workshop on Apprenticeship and the RCIA. Here's a link to the information. Then on Sunday, I fly to Albany to co-present an evening keynote address to the Catholic school administrators of the state of New York. John Angotti and I will be giving our talk: "The Doctor and the Rocker Agree: We Exist to Evangelize." This is the fourth or fifth time that John and I have been asked to do this presentation. We weave stories, Church teaching on evangelization, and John's powerful music to do this presentation. I fly back to Chicago on Monday morning, then head to the Diocese of Gary, Indiana later that day for a presentation to musicians in the diocese. My focus is on spirituality for music ministry. The Milwaukee and Gary events are part of WLP's new "WLP Ambassadors" program. Basically, we provide the speaker or clinician free of charge to the (arch)diocese. In exchange, we ask for some time to talk about WLP's great resources. We make them available for purchase for the folks who attend these sessions. It's a win-win situation. Given the realities of the struggling economy, we wanted to help out dioceses with their programming, as well as provide an opportunity for people to see and hear about our resources for music, liturgy, prayer, and Christian initiation.



Since I am doing an apprenticeship talk tomorrow, perhaps this is a good time for a short little commercial message. I spent two years writing my book on apprenticeship, Apprenticed To Christ: Activities for Practicing the Catholic Way of Life. I take all the Sundays and solemnities of the three liturgical years, pull out a scripture passage, then offer a suggestion for a Catholic apprenticeship activity. I also offer some suggestions of primary catechetical material that can be used as a catechetical follow-up after the activity. This is a mystagogical approach to formation and is consistent with the Church's vision for the catechumenate, as well as a vision for all catechesis. You can check out this resource here.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: