Monday, November 23, 2009

Jesus: The Center of My Joy




Good Monday to you all. The day is overcast here in Chicago. This is obviously a short work week, one of my favorites of the year. Bought the turkey yesterday. Looking forward to cooking on Thursday.

Yesterday at the 9:30 A.M. Mass at my parish, St. James, we celebrated a joyful feast of Christ the King. The choir was in fine voice. They sang a piece after communion that I had never heard before: Jesus, You're the Center of My Joy. Here's a link to a YouTube video of the piece, performed by a choir in Brooklyn. The St. James choir did a wonderful job on this piece, which opened my heart to the love of the Lord. As this Thanksgiving week continues to unfold, I am so grateful for my Catholic life; for my parents who had me baptized; for a parish that continues to preach and teach the love of God.

Our music yesterday ranged from the strophic hymn Rejoice, the Lord Is King to Soon and Very Soon. As usual, we sang up a storm. There has been significant work done to determine the stability of our church structure. It was closed by the City of Chicago in late winter of this year due to concerns about its structural integrity. I must say that I miss worshipping in the church, but the church hall has provided such a warm and vibrant space for our worship. I don't have many photos of the interior of St. James, but found this one today. It's a photo of our historic Roosevelt pipe organ.



Well, folks, I hope your week has begun on a good note. Again, let's spend the week remembering all the people and events for which we are grateful. Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: