Friday, November 6, 2009

Changes Coming to Gotta Sing Gotta Pray

Happy Friday to one and all.

A few weeks ago, at an event held here in the Archdiocese, I was approached by a wonderful music director in one of the Catholic parishes in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. She was expressing much anxiety about the musical settings of the new translation of the Mass. She said that her pastor had announced this at the previous week's staff meeting: "Folks, this new translation is going to happen. As a parish staff, even if we don't agree with what's going on, we have to put on a good face and make this as positive a transition as possible for our parishioners." The music director was almost in a panic about this. She asked me if we had started to consider this issue, and if we had planned to publish new musical settings. I allayed her fears. But it did dawn on me that clergy, musicians, and parishioners across the country are at varying levels of knowledge about the whole thing, which has led me to make a decision.

Beginning next week, you'll notice some changes with gottasinggottapray. Each Tuesday will become "New Translation Tuesday" and each Thursday will become "New Translation Thursday." I've been asked both by my colleagues here at World Library Publications, as well as by many people seeking information about this ever-evolving issue, to focus on the new English translation of the Roman Missal more regularly and predictably. I want to address specific issues as the entire process unfolds. For those of you who do not pay close attention to this issue, I'll share information as I find and receive it. I'll also offer reflections on the process, as well as directives found in the General Instruction on the Roman Missal and other pertinent documents. I'll share as much as I can from a Catholic music publisher's perspective. And, of course, you'll hear my opinions. I look forward to delving more deeply into what promises to be a time of turmoil and grace for the Church in the English-speaking world.

I hope you have a terrific weekend. Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Chironomo said...

I look forward to the developments...

Indeed, there is a need for information...correct information specifically. I've already heard a great deal of hearsay and rumors along with some things that are just plain "made up".

It will be refreshing to hear the views of the publishing industry...they are a key component in the whole process and will carry a great responsibility for the right implementation of the New Translation.

There are also many out here who are at the very least suspicious of the motives of publishers in relation to liturgical music...a suspicion that has been heightened by the coming implemenation of this new translation. It will be a great stride forward if those suspicions can be aleviated by the actions of the major publishers.

Rev. Gene Vavrick, Diocese of Trenton, NJ said...

Jerry, This sounds like a great idea! I'm sure that your insights into the new Missal will be thoughtful and balanced. I know that clergy associations and the FDLC are all working to educate and form people in preparation for the new Missal. Good luck with your posts!