Monday, October 12, 2009

Marathon Weekend and Duns Scotus Chair


Hope your week is off to a good start. A very happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends. 

Here at WLP, we are preparing the music for Margaret Paluch's funeral, which will take place tonight at 7:30 P.M.

I had the privilege of "subbing" for our parish musician yesterday. I played at the 9:30 and 11:30 Masses. It was Chicago Marathon day yesterday and, believe me, it is a real challenge to get to St. James. The numbers are usually low because of this. At the 11:30, when Mass started, there were six people in the choir and seven in the congregation!

About half way through the second Mass, I found myself wondering how I played at five or six weekend Masses for so many years. I developed a renewed appreciation for musicians out there, especially in large parishes, who minister at so many Masses. Take the time to thank your parish musicians for their dedicated work! We had a visiting priest—a Redemptorist—whose preaching was superb. He really captivated all of us. Every time I hear the Gospel story of the rich young man, I wonder what the challenge really is for us today. (I was feeling particularly challenged yesterday, especially because I had inadvertently left my offering envelope at home!)

I also was privileged to play at the granting of the Duns Scotus Chair in Franciscan Spirituality at Catholic Theological Union to my friend and mentor Fr. Ed Foley, Capuchin. It was a delight to make music with an excellent Franciscan harpist, a flutist, some handbells, and a terrific cantor. Vespers was lovely. It's so gratifying to be able to share God's gifts with such an appreciative, praying assembly. Here are a few photos from the event. Here's the new holder of the Duns Scotus Chair in Franciscan Spirituality at Catholic Theological Union here in Chicago:



And here's another photo of Ed and his friends.


Hope your week is a good one. Please continue to pray for the members of Margaret Paluch's family.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: