Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Habits of a Priestly Heart

Happy Wednesday to you all. I am leaving later this morning for Atlanta. 

I wanted to share some news about a new book that we've just published. A little over a year ago, Fr. Eugene Hemrick, pictured here, the director of the National Institute for the Renewal of the Priesthood, gave us a manuscript for consideration for publishing. When I saw the dedication page, I knew that this was the right book for us to publish:

"To Mickey Paluch and Bill and Mary Lou Rafferty, for their undying dedication to promoting and supporting vocations to the religious life."


Habits of a Priestly Heart, is a wonderful book written by a terrific priest. I had the privilege of being the book's editor. Working with Fr. Hemrick, and getting to know his own priestly heart during this past year, has been a real joy for me. The chapters that identify the habits of a priestly heart that Fr. Hemrick shares with the reader are these:

1. Keeping Our Purpose Updated
2. Resisting Resentment, Careerism, and Clericalism
3. Refining the Habit of Contemplation
4. Study Is Ministry
5. What If We Were Healthier?
6. Solidarity at Its Best

As I moved through the editing process, I found myself drawn into Fr. Hemrick's stories and engaging style. I realized that this is not just a book for priests. I was moved and nurtured by Fr. Hemrick's challenges. Although the book's primary focus is a spirituality for the ordained priest, I think that any member of the priesthood of the faithful will find in this book a source of spiritual nourishment and guidance.

I am very proud to have Habits of a Priestly Heart on our shelf here at World Library Publications. A special word of thanks to Fr. Eugene Hemrick for his kindness to us and for sharing this great resource with the world.

I hope to connect with you all from Atlanta.

Gotta Sing. Gotta Pray.

No comments: