Monday, August 10, 2009

Catholics on Call - Please Pray for These Young Adults


Happy Monday everyone.

One of the great joys in my own life is my involvement with the Bernardin Center at Catholic Theological Union here in Chicago (pictured above). CTU is my alma mater, the place where I earned the Doctor of Ministry degree with a concentration in liturgical studies in 1999. The Bernardin Center sponsors a program for young adults, "Catholics on Call." This is a program to help young adults who are searching for answers as they ponder a life of service to the Church. This week, approximately 60 young adults are attending a week-long conference at CTU. Each day, they pray, sing, discern, and listen to some great theologians and speakers from CTU and around the country. Last night, I played for the Evening Prayer service. Tonight, it's Taize Prayer and, for the rest of the week, evening prayer each evening. There are four musicians each night, yours truly at the piano, a flutist, a cellist, and a gifted cantor. Making music with these top-notch musicians is sheer joy for me. Dominic Trumfio, the flutist, has a new recording published by GIA Publications, so here's a little shout-out for Dominic. I have been listening to the CD in my car last night and this morning and it is just wonderful. The Image and the Hope is the name of the CD. Check it out here on GIA's web site. Please pray for the young adults at "Catholics on Call" this week as they search for ways to serve God and the Church.

Believe it or not, I was dreading going to Mass yesterday at my parish, St. James. Why? It was in the mid-90's and the church hall is not air-conditioned. And we have what I like to term "archdiocesan fans" in the hall; those big monster fans that blow hot air around and make so much noise that it's difficult to hear. 


Well, I was surprised when I took my seat. The windows were all open and, even though it was warm, the steady breeze kept us all fairly comfortable. And I was so glad that I decided to go to Saint James, rather than a closer air-conditioned church. The music was splendid and the preaching was great, too. After communion, we all sang, I Just Want to Thank You, Lord. My heart was filled with gratitude for my parish, for my parents who had me baptized, and for the privilege of being Roman Catholic. 

Hope you have a great week. Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: