Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Why We Sing

Hello everybody. I hope your Tuesday is a great day for you and your loved ones.


This past Sunday, marking the Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ, Pope Benedict had this to say:

"It is the hope that arises from the love of Christ that gives us strength to live and to face up to difficulties. That is why we sing as we carry the Blessed Sacrament in procession; we sing and we praise God Who revealed Himself by hiding Himself in the sign of the broken bread. We all need this Bread because the journey towards freedom, justice and peace is long and tiring."

Each week, we receive the bread of heaven. We eat and we drink the Body and Blood of Christ. I don't know about you, but I need the strength that comes from that heavenly food. Why? The pope said it so well: "because the journey towards freedom, justice and peace is long and tiring." 

I think sometimes we can become spiritually obese. Right now I am part of the WeightWatchers at Work program here at WLP. Once again I have had to realize that if I consume more calories than I work off, I will gain weight. I think a parallel can be made with our consumption of the Eucharist. If we eat and drink of the Body and Blood of Christ week after week, but never really work it off, we become spiritually logy and lethargic; spiritually obese. As the Holy Father said, the journey is long and tiring. The Eucharist is our food for this pilgrimage of freedom, justice and peace. Let's remember to work it off! And as we walk that pilgrimage, the reason why we sing is the fact that we have been given this food by our "God Who revealed Himself by hiding Himself in the sign of the broken bread."

Gotta Sing! Gotta Pray!

No comments: