Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Nurtured through Song and Prayer . . . Memories Kindled . . .

Hello everybody. I was able to upload some photos from my weekend in New York. The great folks at the Archdiocese of New York had an exhibit area in the venerable halls of St. Joseph Seminary.  Here are a few photos of my modest WLP exhibit:



The chapel at St. Joseph's is stunning. As I said before, the acoustics were wonderful: no carpet, no padded pews or benches; just a delightful place in which to sing and pray. Here's a not-so-great photo.



The seating is arranged antiphonally. This chapel reminded me of the seminary chapel at St. John's Seminary in Brighton (Boston) Massachusetts. I was a seminarian there from 1976 through 1984. I earned a B.A. in Philosophy with a concentration in Fine Arts/Music in 1980, and earned the Master of Divinity in 1984. Although I was not ordained, I will always be grateful for the education I received at St. John's. Here is a photo of the chapel at St. John's: 



I loved making music and praying in this beautiful space. There were days when I would spend hours practicing the piano in this chapel. The pipe organ would wheeze and groan, but the sound could be magnificent. Chanting the psalms and canticles each morning and evening with approximately 160 other men studying for the priesthood could be breathtaking. So many memories. I am somewhat focused on my experience at St. John's today. Had I been ordained to the priesthood, today would have been my 25th anniversary. Hard to believe that so much time has passed. God had other plans in store for me, and I will spend this day with a grateful heart; grateful first and foremost for my baptism, and for the great gift of music, which was nurtured during those eight years at St. John's. To all priests out there who are marking anniversaries around this time, ad multos annos! And for those washed in the blood of the Lamb in baptism, I echo that same greeting, ad multos annos!

No comments: