Friday, June 5, 2009

Liturgical Ministers - Musicians


Hello everyone. I am in New York City for the annual meeting of the Music Publishers Association. It is rainy and cold here, but the city is so alive and vibrant. I am presenting a keynote tomorrow for catechists here in the Archdiocese of New York.

I just wanted to clarify a point I made the other day about plans for catechesis for the implementation of the new translation of the Missale Romanum. What I mentioned were the plans that are being put in place just for the people of the Archdiocese of Miami. This is not the plan as to be rolled out nationally. This was just the plan for the local church in Miami. And when I said liturgical ministers, I know that the folks in Miami meant the musicians as part of that group.

I will fill you in on the meeting I am attending today as well as the catechetical day tomorrow when I return to Chicago. Gotta sing, gotta pray.

2 comments:

Chironomo said...

Happy to see that Miami is ahead of the curve...lots of good things going on over there lately!

Anonymous said...

I don't wish to overly-grind the axe of musicians being liturgical ministers - and thank you for the clarification, Dr. Galipeau - but a case in point at my parish yesterday, when parish volunteers were thanked and blessed, in the introduction we heard "perhaps you serve in one of our many liturgical ministries, or perhaps you are a music minister." If lay people who are lectors, EMs, acolytes (children are lay people) are named as ministers for the liturgical action of the Church, why not musicians?