Thursday, May 28, 2009

Parish Musicians and Change



Hello everybody. It's still overcast here in the Midwest, but they are saying that we might see a peek of sunshine this afternoon. Let's hope.

Tomorrow I will be flying to Miami to give a number of presentations to the area parish musicians. Barry University is the site for the event, which is entitled "Christ Yesterday, Today and Forever: Music Ministry in a Changing World and Church." I will, of course, spend some time talking with musicians about the upcoming release of the new English translation of the Missale Romanum. I have been doing this for a number of years with musicians. At the beginning of the session, I plan to talk about change management itself and how people deal with change in general. My hope is that these musicians will gain insight into how people adapt to change. When the new translation is implemented, musicians will be asked to learn and then teach new English settings of the Gloria, Sanctus, and Memorial Acclamations at the very least. They will also be asked to work with their priests, deacons, and communities in implementing sung forms of the dialogues during Mass. I think that this will be a challenging—and enriching—time for the parish musician. I am not working in full-time music ministry in a parish, so I will be experiencing the transition from the pew each Sunday. 

I will try to post tomorrow during my travels. I'd like to talk about the power and potential of mystagogical catechesis. I think that this catechetical method will assist greatly in the implementation of the new English translation of the missal.  If you have some time and like to read papal documents, check out what Pope Benedict has to say about mystagogical catechesis in his Apostolic Exhortation Sacramentum Caritatis, which you can find here. You'll want to focus on paragraph 64.


2 comments:

Chironomo said...

I wish I had known about this event in advance...Barry University is only a short distance from here but I have a full weekend of Funerals and Weddings and so it would be difficult to get away to attend. I would have liked to have been there.

I think it is a good thing to begin far in advance teaching parish musicians about what will be coming and what changes will have to be made. The current generation of parish musicians has come of age with the impression that all things are optional when it comes to music, and when faced with changes that have to be made, enter into unfamiliar waters.

I hope your program is well attended and successful, and welcome back to Sunny Florida (the weather is a bit unpleasant here too right now...).

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Thanks so much, Chironomo. I hope that the event is a great learning experience for all who attend.
Jerry